|December 16th, 1944|
The Battle of the Bulge began on December 16, 1944. In their push towards the ultimate objective of Antwerp, the German 5th Panzer Army had to cross the vital road junctions of St Vith. The town represented the right flank in the German advance and was close to the boundary between the 5th and the 6th Panzer army, the two strongest units of the push. There to slow down the German advance was the U.S. 7th armored division, which had taken the town of St Vith as a key strategic stronghold.